MUSEUMS and ARTLINKS
Rembrandt's "Nightwatch", Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
An interactive directory to museums' collections including art, science,
history, zoos, archeology and aquariums, etc. providing links to their
educational, entertainment, archive and shopping features.
- founded in 1979
by Harry Pennings.
It is the oldest, specialized gallery
in the Netherlands.
The gallery exhibits artworks in which
photography or its derivations
Exhibitions are held
about 6 to 8 times a year.
The artworks art sold during exhibitions,
from stock, and through portfolio's.
Photography is still very interesting for collectors
because of it's relative low prices.
The portfolio's are published in a small edition
at a very reasonable price.
- soon to be the world's
largest online art gallery (over 100,000 items to
choose from today, and growing!). A visit to our
site means instant access to the vast world of
art. We've dedicated ourselves to providing
you with an extensive selection of art prints
and related products, personalized service,
easy ordering, and quick shipping to anywhere
in the world. Enjoy your visit to MGallery!
Fine Arts Guide at the Mining Company
Newsletter: "SKETCHES". Included will be: descriptions of upcoming feature articles, new links
listed on the site, announcements of new resource categories andActivities
on this Fine Arts site. Topics covered on the site include: individual artists Internet sites, art
education (K-12), art history, current special museum exhibits, events,
conferences and festivals, galleries, guides and directories, health
issues and hazards for artists, art libraries, magazines, journals and
newsletters, museums, organizations, resources, schools of art,
self-promotion, supplies and equipment, and women in fine arts. Soon to be
added categories include Art Therapy and Art and Disabilities (mental and
Subscription Particulars: FREE for the asking. It will be short and not
fill up your e-mail, arriving every two weeks. Your subscription will be
strictly confidential and will not be circulated to any other person or
organization for any other reason.
If you would like to receive this newsletter please ask to be subscribed
by writing your Fine Arts Guide, Chris Jeffries using the word "newsletter"
in the subject line at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- the online database of fine arts, antique and
collectibles in Hungary; the complete information source on art dealers, galleries, auctions, fairs, events and publications
The Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle's
- program is based on a broad
definition of culture that includes science and technology as well as
art and cultural history. The museum's task is to present intellectual
and cultural developments of national and international importance and
to promote dialogue between leading figures from the world of art,
culture and scholarship as well as from the realm of politics.
Exhibitions, congresses, theater and musical events, film presentations
and lectures take place here. Comprising an exhibition area of 5,600m²,
the Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle can present five alternating
exhibitions of various sizes simultaneously. All other events take place
in the Forum, a multi-purpose room with seating for up to 550 persons.
- The first internet daily art newspaper
- Elsas Productions
6000 links in museum
sites in 124 countries
- Pulchri Studio
Today Pulchri Studio has 250 artist-members, half of whom live and work in The
Hague and its surroundings. In addition Pulchri has 700 non-artist members who
qualify as art lovers. One of the many activities at Pulchri Studio is the drawing
from live models. This exists alongside an impressively diverse programme of
The board of Pulchri Studio organizes approximately fifty exhibitions annually.
These are held in the two groundfloor galleries and in three upper halls which,
following restoration in the spring of 1991, rank among the most beautiful
exhibition halls in the country. Aside from exhibitions by the Pulchri's
association's artists, works by other artists from the Netherlands and abroad are
Pulchri Studio also publishes the PULCHRI magazine which was founded in 1972 and is published five times a year. It
serves as a focus point for the ideas and opinions of both the professional artist as well as the art lover. Practical as well as
informative, the magazine features articles about Pulchri's exhibitions as well as exhibitions throughout the Netherlands and
Pulchri Studio is a non-profit organization, it acts in a consultative capacity with respect to purchasing and collecting works
of particular artists, if so desired, as well as acting as an intermediary between the artist's studio and individual and corporate
buyers. Pulchri's data system contains a photographic record of the works of more than 200 artists.
Finally, all Pulchri's exhibitions are open to the public free of charge.
Find out more about the history of Pulchri Studio.
- Amon Carter Museum
Welcome from the Director:
Welcome to the Amon Carter Museum World Wide Web site. As director I am pleased to welcome all visitors to the Amon Carter Museum -- those who arrive on-line as well as those who walk through the new front doors. Here you will find a wealth of information, from exhibition descriptions to acquisition notices, from schedules of educational opportunities at the Museum to teachers resource materials. Whether your interest is researching an aspect of American art represented by works in our collection, or merely browsing the Web site for the latest publications and Amon Carter Museum Store merchandise, you are welcome. Once you are familiar with the Museum's Web site, I hope you will want to visit someday in person. In the meantime, if your on-line visit piques your interest and you want to find out more about our program, go to the staff directory and send us an e-mail. We look forward to hearing from you.
HMCS HAIDA NAVAL MUSEUM
- The last remaining example of the 27 Tribal Class destroyers built for the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy between 1937 and 1945. It has been said that The Tribals were "magnificent in appearance, majestic in movement and menacing in disposition". Technologically, they represented the most advanced naval architecture, marine propulsion systems and weaponry of their time.
Once, HAIDA was a mighty fighting ship. Today, she is an irreplaceable historic artifact and her significance has been formally recognized by the Canadian Historic Sites and Monuments Board. Not only is the ship historically significant, but she is a cultural asset representing a life style, however transient, of more than a generation of Canadians who served in Canada's Navy between 1943 and 1963. The thousands of men who sailed in Haida represented a total cross section of Canadian society during that period. No other ship was ever more deserving of the title, "The Fightingest Ship in the Royal Canadian Navy".
HMCS HAIDA Naval Museum
c/o Ontario Place
955 Lakeshore Blvd West
Toronto, Ontario, M6K 3B9
Telephone: (416) 314-9755
- Museum Server
- beautifully designed Dutch website offering lots of information about museums and their activities.
Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam
- a multi-faceted museum.
Its collection covers a wide range of art objects and covers the period from
the Middle Ages to the present day.
- Museum Resource Guides
As more and more museum information goes on-line, resource guides maintained by connoisseurs who will update and maintain their information will be essential navigation aids. Although we want to keep an active set of links to many museums, we also want to maintain links to those sites also maintaining active guides to museum resources!
- L I M B U R G S M U S E U M
- Nice homepage of Dutch provincial museum with links to multimedia castle sites. Dutch language only.
- VAN GOGHMUSEUM AMSTERDAM
- With more than 200 paintings and almost 500 drawings, the Van Gogh Museum maintains the largest and most varied Van Gogh collection in the world. The works are derived from the artist's estate and have been kept together by his family. Many of the paintings are on permanent exhibition in chronological order, from the somber canvases of Brabant to the brightly-colored works from his late period. In this way they provide a fine survey of Van Gogh's development as an artist. Included in the collection are The Potato Eaters, Self-portrait with Felt Hat, Still-life with Sunflowers and Wheatfield with Crows.
The collection of contemporaries, largely on permanent exhibition, comprises paintings by Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Fantin-Latour, Monet, Sisley, Isaac Israëls and many other artists known to Van Gogh. The museum is striving to expand the collection with works by artists from the period 1840-1920. These include paintings, drawings, pastels, and sculpture.
In addition to the permanent collection, the museum has a dynamic exhibition program to illuminate new aspects of late 19th-century art. Special events such as concerts, lectures and theater shows are organized to accompany the exhibitions. The museum building, designed by Gerrit Rietveld, is especially suited to these activities thanks to its acoustics and open character.
The museum has a library as well as a reading and study room for visitors. There is extensive documentation about Van Gogh and one can find international literature about 19th-century art and culture. The unique collection of books (already comprising more than 20,000 volumes) is still growing. In the library it is also possible to study the letters of Van Gogh. These were largely written to his brother Theo and still form a source of inspiration for artists, researchers and everyone interested in Van Gogh.
The Van Gogh Museum is open daily from 10-5. Admission is 12,50 for Adults and 5,00 for those under 18. Please call 31-20-570-5200 for further information.
- THE ARTBOX
- Kees Thijssen created the Artbox in 1976 after 15 years of representing photographers - first in Brussels and subsequently in Amsterdam. Since that time the Artbox has earned and lived up to a reputation for quality artwork and as a reliable business partner. Representing a close-knit group of about 30 Dutch illlustrators and an equal number of foreign illustrators, the Artbox has delivered artwork for many major advertising agencies and campaigns. The illustrators represented regularly win coveted advertising and design awards and many a new talent started his or her career with the Artbox.The Artbox cooperates with the Artworks (London).
- The a.k.a. system, developed by the
Getty Art History Information Program (AHIP), is an experimental tool that uses vocabulary resources to give transparent, enhanced
access to different databases of cultural information. The a.k.a. allows you to search
simultaneously thousands of records from AHIP databases.
With the a.k.a. you can use the Union List of Artist Names (ULAN) and the Art &
Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) to expand your searches to include synonyms, variants, or
more specific or more general forms of your search terms.
- ART index2 DATABASE
Use the OCLC Art index2 database (ART) to retrieve records for items in the fields of
archaeology, architecture, art history, city planning, computer applications and graphics, crafts,
film, folk art, graphic arts, industrial design, interior design, landscape architecture, museology,
painting, photography, sculpture, television, textiles, and video.
- La base documentaire JOCONDE est un catalogue des dessins, estampes, peintures, sculptures, photographies et objets d'art conservés dans plus de 60 musées de France. 130 000
oeuvres du VIIe siècle à nos jours, 10 000 artistes, 20 000 personnages, et 20 000 lieux recensés.
- Art on the Net is a collective of artists helping each other to
come up on the Internet
and share their works on the World Wide Web. Artists create and maintain studios
and rooms in the gallery where they show their works and share about themselves.
Currently there are 100 artists at this site from around the world: poets, musicians, painters, sculptors, digital artists, performance artists, animators and much more.
Website of the oldest Dutch museum. Located in the town of Haarlem this museum shows parts of it's beautifull building and it's technology collection. There is also a large collection of (art) prints.
- STEDELIJK MUSEUM AMSTERDAM
- The Stedelijk Museum is the most important museum
of modern and contemporary art in the Netherlands.
A lot of works are permanently on view
from the Stedelijk Museum's reknown collection
of paintings and sculpture, drawings, prints,
photographs, graphic design, applied art and design.
There are always a number of frequently changing
temporary exhibitions on view too. In short, a museum
dedicated to the new. For more than 100 years!
- METROPOLITAN MUSEUM
- Both the museum and the shop can be visited and some on-line shopping is possible..
- in Paris. Nice site with numerous
links to other museums and on-line exhibitions.
- National Endowment of the Arts
- INTERNET ARTRESOURCES
As the largest searchable database of information on the visual arts, The Guide has over 6,000 listings, with most areas showing images of work - currently, over 1,200 images are on-line. The Guide at Internet ArtResources answers the questions Who, What, When and Where. As a fine arts collector/admirer, you may be trying to find a gallery showing a new artist you just heard about. Or you may be planning a trip to a new city and want to see what galleries are there, what artists they represent or what's their focus. Whether it's a gallery, museum, artist, art publication or bookseller, art show, fair, event or exposition, or art school, you can find any or all through The Guide.
- International Committe of Museums. Central server is in Sweden, but there is a mirrorsite in North America. Virtual Library World
museums: Now supported by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) at: http://www.icom.org/vlmp/ . ( These pages provide an eclectic collection of WWW services connected with museums, galleries and archives.)
Mailing List WWW Gateway: the ICOM Mailing List WWW Gateway (LWGate). This service is intended to
present information about a set of mailing lists, allow people to easily use mailing list commands,
and provide a hypertext interface to list archives which exist on the ICOM server.
Another interesting (under construction) and usefull site is Peter Westhuis Consultancy (specialized in security
advice for museums, galleries and cultural institutions).
International Committee for Training Personnel Header (The mission of ICTOP is defined as follows:
To encourage and promote relevant training to appropriate standards for all people working in museums, throughout their careers, including students on museum-related pre-entry training programmes.
another ICOM mirrorsite
- WORLD WIDE ART RESOURCES
- art market, artists index2, art exhibitions, museum, schedules and festivals, performance arts, arts agencies, etc. etc. ( ART MARKET: Over 20 megs information about art, artists, museums, fairs...)
- ARTMALL INTERNATIONAL
- presenting the works of artists in a new and unique way on the net...
- MUSEUM FÜR GESTALTUNG ZÜRICH SWITZERLAND
visual communication, art, architecture, photography, everyday culture. Graphic art collection, typography, calligraphy, artist's books.
- HERITAGE MAP MUSEUM.
HISTORY OF ART
- covers art history and computer applications in art history. Includes a list of university departments and links to some museums and galleries. This site is maintained by the History of
Art Department of Birkbeck College, University of London. A great site with numerous art links.
- INTERNATIONAL DIRECTORY OF ART LIBRARIES
- is offered as a means to access over 3,000 libraries and library
departments with specialized holdings in art, architecture, and archaeology throughout the world.
- VIRTUAL LIBRARY MUSEUMS PAGES
- These pages
provide an eclectic collection of WWW services connected with museums,
galleries and archives. The Mother of museum websites..Museums by country, Museums and exhibitions, Selected Virtual Exhibitions. At least one museum per day added.
- THE MOTHER OF ALL ART
HISTORY LINK PAGES
- by Andrew Midkiff. Created for a workshop on the internet of art historians taught at the University of Michigan (also see Chris Witcombe's site in our section EXTRAORDINARY to see another MOTHER
- Museum of Modern Art, New York; current exhibitions, Future exhibitions, Film and Video programs, the collections, web projects.
- VIRTUAL EXHIBITS
ON THE WEB
The World Wide Web, with its ability to combine text, images, graphics, still photographs, movies,
and sound, has given rise to a new way for libraries, archives, and museums to inform the public
about their holdings -- the virtual exhibit. This Page contains links to virtual exhibits located at Web
sites throughout the Internet.
Copyright ©1998 by http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED