PRIVATE PRESSES and TYPOGRAPHY, part II
Any comments, questions??
Hot Metal Homepage
A free resource for the fraternity of those engaged in the art of
~~~ Hot Metal Typography ~~~
Linotype - Intertype - Ludlow - Monotype
And Everything Else That Casts Type!
The Fine Press Book Association and Four Rivers Books, Ltd.
Welcome to the combined web site for the Fine Press Book Association and Four Rivers Books, Ltd.
Green Dolphin Press
This is a very rough start to our new Letterpress Information web site. I've moved it onto our proper domain site, thanks to bway.net, the best internet service provider in these here United States of America.
It is important to note the role that the Internet can and does play in supporting special interest groups -- this is also valid for non-technical interests like letterpress printing. There is a flourishing community of people who vary in expertise from beginner to master of printing, all meeting primarily through email and web sites. This site at Green Dolphin Press hopes to add in its own small way to this great exchange of information.
Resources for Letterpress Printers
Letterpress printing may not be the growth industry of the '90s (well...perhaps the 1890s!), but there are numerous people world-wide who pursue it as either a hobby or a business. This page lists some of the places where individuals interested in letterpress printing can turn.
- Lilliput Press
- publisher and bindery of fine books in miniature.
You'll find beautiful books here on many subjects, with traditional bindings in the most luxurious materials - all collectible miniatures.
The books I publish are around the size of postage stamps. Yes they are readable! And the contents range from rare historical to authoritative modern texts, all highly illustrated. You can find my whole illustrated catalogue here.
But there's more. You can download illustrations and even the whole text of some of my books. I aim to keep adding useful materials and articles.
Also there are pages of resources and links for other subjects dear to my heart.
- NANCY NEALE TYPECRAFT
- welcomes You to the wonderful world of antique Printing Memorabilia. NANCY NEALE TYPECRAFT has the largest Collection of Antique Printing Memorabilia in the world in private hands. It's the "Ultimate Collectible" if you're interested in antiques, crafts, printing nostalgia.
- The Coach House Press and the Small Press Movement in English Canada in the 1960s
This exhibition examines in detail the workings of one of Canada's most innovative and productive small presses: The Coach House Press. The exhibit illustrates the Press's first ten years of operation from 1965 to 1975. While the exhibit focuses on the formative years of The Coach House Press, it also sets the Press in the larger historical context of the small press movement in English Canada from its beginnings in the 1940s, to the work of The Coach House Press's contemporaries in the 1960s. This exhibition is a tribute to the printers, poets, artists and founders of the many presses on display whose contributions characterize one of the most dynamic and creative decades in Canadian literature and publishing history: the 1960s.
- EVANESCENT PRESS
- At Evanescent Press, in the mountains of Mendocino County, California, original books are published on hand-made paper, printing them by letterpress from hand-set type, and binding them by hand.
Paper is hand-made from hemp, kenaf, abaca, cotton, linen, and other natural fibers, including the local weeds that grow wild in the mountainous region. Papers are natural waterleaf (without added sizing), and are buffered to a neutral pH for archival quality.
In addition to fine book and art papers, also an unusual collection of decorative papers including Flower, Moss, Grape Wine, Plum Wine, Beet, Oatmeal, Seaweed -- and hemp is made. Custom papers for special projects are made, and commercial services offered of letterpress printing and hand bookbinding.
- WELCOME TO YELLOW TULIP PRESS...
- where the past comes colorfully alive in curious chapbooks and hysterical histories. Small publisher located in scenic Ben
Lomond, in California's Santa Cruz Mountains.
- SOCIETE DES ANCIENS TEXTES FRANCAIS
- old texts in bibliophile editions. ( Paris, Firmin-Didot, 1875-1920. Très nombreux titres de cette collection de textes français du
Moyen-âge, avec apparat critique (Aymeri de Narbonne, Guillaume de Machaut,
Béroul, Le Roman de la Rose, Rondeaux et poésies du XVe siècle, Mystères
du Viel Testament, Guillaume de Palerne, le dict de la Panthère
d'Amours... etc...etc...). Imprimés à petit nombre sur beau papier vergé, reliés en percaline de
l'éditeur ;de 200 à 300 pages )
- digital type foundry, publisher and distributer of graphic design related software. Emigre magazine.
- TYPE FOUNDRY index2
- This page is an ongoing project sponsored by PenUltimate Type Foundry to maintain a linked
index2 of the home pages of type foundries and distributors. To be included on this page foundries
must maintain a respect for the work of the type designer. This means that the foundry does not
produce "knockoff" fonts, renamed fonts, or withhold royalities to the designer of a font.
- TYPOGRAPHY index2
- on the net, links to magazines, typography organizations, typography resources and
- ROB LEUSCHKE
- graphic design. Created hand-lettered stylings for over a decade. Examples on-line.
- WORLD WIDE SCRIBE
A "complete" history of writing; an international gallery for the lettering arts; links
to calligraphy guilds from around the world, and a resource center which provides information
about calligraphy suppliers, conferences, classes and book reviews, as well as tricks of the trade
for the lettering artist.
- THE SOCIETY OF SCRIBES AND ILLUMINATORS
- Home Page of the prestigeous London based Society of Scribes and Illuminators, currently celebrating their 75th year, making the society one of the oldest, largest and most influential professional calligraphy and lettering arts Societies in the world.
To celebrate this anniversary the society stages a major exhibition, in London, called "Celebration of Calligraphy".
- DAVID HULL'S TYPOGRAPHY HOTLIST
- personal hotlist to typography information on the net.
graphic design firm in Toronto, run by David Vereschagin. With links to other type and design resources on the net.
- MUSEUM FÜR GESTALTUNG
- Zürich, Switzerland.
The museum mainly organises temporary exhibitions dealing with subjects from the realms of
design, visual communication, environment design, art, architecture, everyday culture, photography
and the media. Research collection (accessible to professionals only, by appointment): Graphic Art
collection (ornamental graphics, illustrated books, typography, calligraphy, artist's books and
photography); Poster collection (approx. 200,000 international posters with emphasis on Soviet
posters from the 1920's and 1930's; almost the entire poster works of Henri Toulouse-Lautrec;
other examples from France, Germany, U.S.A, Poland and Japan); Design collection (serial
products of the 20th century from the realms of work, living, leisure, environment and especially of
Swiss design). Research library (art, crafts, design, architecture, visual communication,
typography, script, film, photography, stage productions, art pedagogy).
- MY HUMBLE WORLD O' FONTS
- Better Living Through Typography. List of cool, informative, and sometimes obnoxious
type-related links. Personal page.
- CAVE DOG'S LETTERPRESS
- Letterpress printing is now in its sixth century of practice. While it has been
supplanted by other printing and graphic arts practices, it is still used by thousands
of small and large printers around the world.
Cave Dog’s Letterpress section presents a very brief overview of the craft of letterpress
printing, as well as a more complete explanation of how they practice the black art
at Cave Dog Press. A few other resources for letterpress and other printing
techniques is included.
- DIGITAL LETTERPRESS
- Austin, Texas. Digital Letterpress is an all letterpress printing office based in Austin, Texas, specializing in the
production of books, catalogs, and commercial job printing. Clientele includes limited edition
publishers, rare book dealers, graphic designers and others who appreciate the tactile qualities of
letterpress. For the most part polymer plates are used as a printing surface, in addition to the lead type
produced in a small, but adequate, monotype shop. In addition, a certain amount of book
design and production management is done of publications that fall outside the scope of letterpress.
- VELLUM GALLERY
This gallery sells Art based on Calligraphy and Illumination and illustrates
the techniques of Calligraphy. The goal is to promote an appreciation and understanding of
the art of lettering. Work by artists can be viewed on-line. With links to calligraphy sites.
- CHICAGO CALLIGRAPHY COLLECTIVE
- non-profit public education organization founded in 1976 to promote the study, practice, and appreciation of Calligraphy in all its historical and
present-day applications.Publications include a monthly newsletter, the LETTER.
- THE RAND CALLIGRAPHY AND BOOK ARTS CLUB
- open to everyone interested in letter and book arts and related fields
such as graphic arts, typography, greeting card design, fine art, silkscreening, bookbinding....
- "This site is dedicated to sign artists, pinstripers, carvers, gilders, airbrush artists and
their families. We hope
you to learn something here, teach and help others, make some new friends and
most of all have fun. This is your site. We are just the caretakers. Let's all work together
to develop this site into the best sign spot on the web. Please let me know of
any events in your area. If you would like a free link from here to
your shop, please fill in our Guestbook."
- THE LIVING MUSEUM OF LETTERPRESS PRINTING
- dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition and utilization of
equipment and methods involved in the art and craft of letterpress printing. Seattle, Washington.
- WEB O RAMA
- Mark Handel. Specimens of printing and typography.
- THE ELLIOTT PRESS
- Pacific Lutheran University. With the press' large collection of letterpress type and equipment, students design and produce printed texts using the hand-controlled techniques that
flourish today in the lively art form known as "fine printing". In addition to its own publishing program, the press houses a growing collection of innovative book works and is a working museum, where visitors may watch and try their hands at the
technology pioneered by Gutenberg.
- THE IMPRINT SOCIETY OF READING
- meets under the joint auspices of the University Library and the DEPARTMENT OF TYPOGRAPHY & GRAPHIC COMMUNICATION.There is a seperate page TYPOGRAPHY ON THE WEB, with related links.
- TYPOGRAPHY LINKS AND CONTACTS
- page containing links to over one hundred typography related sites. Regularly updated source.
Sarabande's typograhic history area. With Lucian Bernhard's Magnet Types and Sarabande's Paper Textures.
- TYPE DESIGNERS AND THEIR FACES
- Monotype has contributed a large collection
of bibliographic and design information. Designers in alphabetical order, with information about the fonts they designed and bibliographical information. A rich source on this subject.
- Ediciones Vigía
- (The British Library
Hispanic Section): Ediciones Vigía was founded in April 1985 in the city of Matanzas to the east of Havana, Cuba.
Its name is taken from its location in the Plaza de la Vigía (Watchtower Square). The aim of the
group has always been to use the most basic printing techniques, thus highlighting the importance of
craftsmanship in the making of books. Glossy modern presentation would also detract from the
artistic content of the works they produce. Their publications are mimeographed, and the
illustrations are cut, and subsequently coloured, by hand. Two hundred copies of each are printed;
they are numbered and generally signed by the author. Ediciones Vigía's publications embrace a
variety of formats: books, magazines, loose sheets and scrolls. All are produced to the same
standard and show impeccable concern for bibliographical accuracy, recording not just date and
place of publication, but also responsibility for design and manufacture.
Ediciones Vigía concentrates on poetry, short stories, literary criticism, and on works for children.
Some of the texts are published for the first time, while others are existing works by famous
writers. Prominent among the first group are works by local writers, some still in their teens, while
the second group includes Gabriel García Márquez, Dulce María Loynaz and Cintio Vitier.
Emphasis on literature for young people has been a constant element of artistic policy in Cuba
since the Revolution.
- MAYAPPLE PRESS
- a small press established in 1978 by Judith Kerman, with a special interest in Great Lakes Regional poetry and poetry by women. Most publications are in chapbook
- DAVE BOSSHARDT
- Printing Primer
("The art of printing is so noble and useful an art, that for all who practise it a certain degree of
culture should be taken for granted. -Johann Friedrich Unger") With a Glossary of Printing Terms
- NEXUS PRESS
- Publishers of Artists Books (Pride of the South)
- THE OUTLAW PRESS
- The Outlaw Press
provides authors with a venue for works in a narrow market or that otherwise
don't interest larger publishing houses. The Outlaw Press exists because some people love to make books, and others love sharing their knowledge in books.
- THE PYRACANTHA
- Arizona State University School of Art. Limited edition publishing projects are executed under the School of Art's imprint, the Pyracantha Press, established at Arizona State University in 1982. The Press undertakes book arts projects
which have particular merit in literary content, which result in visual or technical research, or which
provide for significant collaboration between writers and artists or between artists. Publications of
the Press are not done as class projects, but are produced with professional care and quality by
the director, the staff printer, and graduate research assistants.
- THE PLAIN WRAPPER PRESS
Richard-Gabriel Rummonds and his
Plain Wrapper Press. The name is a
deliberate misnomer, because the books Gabriel and his partner, Alessandro Zanella, printed were
anything but plain. For over twenty years, from 1966 to 1988, the Plain Wrapper Press published
some very ambitious and beautiful books. The texts, usually by prominent contemporary authors,
were hand-set in foundry type and printed on dampened hand-made paper , illustrated with original graphics by equally prominent artists, and hand-bound by
skilled professional binders, usually in leather or vellum or decorated papers. In this site there are several beautifull images of work by the PWP.
- THE CELTIC CROSS PRESS
- Proprietor: Rosemary Roberts
The Celtic Cross Press was founded in 1984 to publish limited edition, signed and numbered
books, printed letterpress in two colours and bound in full cloth covered boards, designed,
illustrated and printed by Rosemary Roberts.
- THE TABARD PRIVATE PRESS
- Proprietor: Philip Kerrigan . Publication: The Diaries of James Simmons, paper maker of Haslemere, 1831-1868.
Copyright ©1998 by http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED